"Seasoned For Destination"

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 18:44:34 MDT 2008

The explanation that I've heard regarding the inferior quality of so-called
grey market pianos is not so much to do with regional seasoning but rather
lesser quality materials and production techniques that emphasize cost over
quality.  The reason given is that in Japan buying used is eschewed by the
local population--a cultural phenomenon.  Thus, once the pianos are "traded
in" for a newer or better model, the pianos become, in effect, obsolete.
Thus, they are wholesaled out to various countries where there is no
cultural bias against purchasing "previously owned" merchandise.  In fact,
the quality of the pianos is less and is evidenced when the encounter any
type of harsh environment in which the materials are put to the test, as it
were.  I believe that's the reason they are not supported by Yamaha Corp in
the US since they do not compare favorably to the domestically manufactured
models.  My experience with grey market pianos would support this and I
generally discourage my customers from buying them in spite of the fact that
in a relatively benign environment they might survive without coming apart.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com