reducing hammer weight

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 9 20:56:24 MDT 2008

Will Truitt wrote:
> I have certainly hit staples tapering sets (including many Abels) - no way
> to avoid it on some - but never a problem.  It just cuts through the staple
> and that is that.

Most times, that's the case.

>I wonder if you were feeding too fast.  There is a just
> right speed to push the hammer into the blade.

This would be the "push until it breaks, then back off" school
of calibration. I know that one intimately, but the one that
breaks still breaks. No, I don't shove them through without
caution, nor try to push the limits. This is one thing I
approach cautiously.

> Now I understand why you don't want to freehand your tapering....
>
> Will

Ding!
Ron N