Carbon fiber durability

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 19:38:08 MDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 10:22 AM, <erwinspiano at aol.com> wrote:

> Cy
>   The watanabe tip seems to be a bit floppy & I returned one to get
> something that fit better. I heard one other critiques like this as well.
> In fairness, tune an entire piano to get a true taste of this device.
>   Dale
>

>  While I'm greatly pleased that engineers like Steve Fujan are tackling
> the problems we face every day (using actual science rather than
> speculation!), I was surprised to find that I didn't like his lever when I
> tried it in Kansas City.  I didn't get to tune -- it was just a pin in a
> board -- but I didn't like the feel of the grip, or the movement of the
> pin.  I tuned with a lot of different levers at NBSS.
>
> Has anyone else found a learning curve with this lever?
>
> --Cy--

I think you'll love the lever after you've used it for a week.  I guess you
could say there's a learning curve.  However, what you learn is that you're
not feeling as much with your old lever!  And you notice that more after
you've gotten used to the Fujan and try to tune with your old one.  When I
got mine, there was a 30 day return privilege.  Can hardly go wrong with
that.

I do use a homemade lever on occasion, as that seems to work better in
certain applications.

The Watanabe tip on my Fujan is a bit sloppy, but not overly so.  A Jahn #2
tip is nearly perfect.  If someone preferred a Jahn #2 or #3, he could go
with the Faulk lever.  Or, if enough people wanted a Fujan with the Jahn
tips, I bet Steve would do it.

--
JF