Disinfecting piano, reviving bass strings, all with naptha...

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 10:49:41 MDT 2008

....I use beat up, cheap pianos in the back of the van I play piano from, for parties, etc.. I like light, small ( but not drop-action ) pianos, and got a 1950's Harrington console off someone's porch that smelled terrible
( rancid-sweat smell, like a  Salvation Army used clothing store ) and had dead bass strings. ( Other than that, a pretty decent instrument. ) Worst of all: after playing it I could feel foul-smelling stuff "growing" up my sinuses, between my teeth, etc..  Obviously, lots of germs were still living in this thing, from the extremely unsanitary "whomever" that owned it before. ( I got a nasty sore throat from this "growing stuff", too! )
   As part of my "bass string rejuvenation" regimen, along with running them through the "Dethubb o' mizer", I've been spraying them ( with thick plastic behind them, once disconnected from their hich pins ) with non-chlorinated brake part cleaner. This works superbly to flush dirt out from between the windings, but is extremely solvent to just about everything, and dangerous to get on hands, or breathe.
     So I wondered what solvent I could spray over everythimng inside of this piano to kill germs, AND clean the bass strings, somewhat, without removing the soundboard finish, disconecting the bass strings, etc..
     Naptha did the trick! The piano smells very little now, I played it 9 hours this weekend without getting a sinus or throat infection, the bass styrings sound much better and nothing in the piano got dissolved.
    I removed the action, put on my mask, gloves and goggles, loaded my spray gun with naptha, and blasted the action and inside of the piano, thoroughly. Rolled back into the van, let "air-out" 2 days and "went to town"!

Euphonious Thumpe