Why After Two Years.....

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 6 09:54:12 MDT 2008

Hi Don,

what were the results of your experiment with the hydrocel unit? Your region seems to be very extreme concerning humidity changes! Perhaps you could do a further experiment, using two of the units: one on the bottom, one on the upper side of an upright.

In my area the humidity swings between about 30 % to 85 % (in rooms) and for these conditions the hydrocel is enough and a must for floor heatings. I used to live in a house directly on a riverside and had a floor made of wood. I.e. that in summer it was quite wet and in winter the wooden floor soaked all the humidity out of the room. I measured 27 % in winter. I installed one unit on the upper side of my private upright at the begining of the heating period. At that moment the piano was out of tune but I wanted to wait with tuning until the heating was on for at least one week (yes, I am lazy - instead of tuning twice). After one week the tuning was much better, so my piano tuned itself :-)

Which material is used for the active part of hydrocel? No idea. Bt the main thing is it helps.

Gregor