Steinway Vertegrand Pressure Bars

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 00:30:50 MDT 2008

At 21:53 -0700 3/9/08, Fenton Murray wrote:

>A client of mine has a Model V #197... that was near a fire, it will
>probably not be rebuilt and most likely will be totaled by her
>insurance. Don't know if parts will fit, and it's a ways from here,
>but I'll try to keep tabs on it if your interested.

Thank you Fenton.  The Vertegrand is more of a 'K' I think and will
almost certainly be different.  Besides, my colleague wants to get on
with the rebuild, so I think I'll have to bear the expense of making
a new set of pressure bars.

I'm thinking of making them of 1/2" leaded bronze cast round bar
provided it's possible to bend it.  I'll grind a flat about 9 mm wide
on the front before marking from a rubbing I've taken and drilling.
At least once I've done it I'll be able to sell him my bass strings
and a set of hammers!

JD