Reaming tuning pin holes

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Sep 2 18:33:42 MDT 2008

> David Ilvedson wrote:
>
>>I wouldn't ream in any case...
>
> Nor would I, ever.  If the old pins are loose they've done any reaming you
> need already.  Why shorten the life of the piano by drilling out?
>
> JD

Consistency?  I'd think that though the pins are loose, they are likely not
loose uniformly.  Why not ream (the least manageable amount) the block to a
specific size and have pins of (nearly) uniform torque when you are done?
This is not rhetorical, BTW.  I acknowledge that I may be missing something
here.....  .

William R. Monroe