Role of the Staple on a hammer

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 27 21:17:12 MST 2008

Hi David,

I've taken staples out--only because other people told me I could...and well, I believed them.  :-)   At the CERS this fall, Wally Brooks told a fellow that the integrity of the hammers was destroyed (can't remember his exact words, but he got pretty excited about it) when folks remove staples to control hammer weight.   I figure Wally probably knows something about hammers...

Anyway, I'd be interested if anyone had ever had a hammer spring open (some time, sooner or later) after removing the staple.  Guess I'll be crossing my fingers about those staples I've removed in the past--though I think most of them had a bunch of lacquer holding them together.

Barbara Richmond, RPT

near Peoria, IL