The finite life of wood grain

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Oct 21 13:13:56 MDT 2008

I certainly couldn't testify to the notion that there are many undead
soundboards around, at least not that are 100 years old and certainly not
that rely on 100% compression crowning.  Most would be better suited to use
as siding on your house (something you might consider given your description
below).  Most soundboards of that age (in modern pianos) have some level of
failure.  Therein, perhaps, lies the problem.  It's one of definition.
Often tenor and bass sections of older pianos can be passable (assuming no
massive glue joint failure).  That's not surprising since the acoustic
requirements at that end of the piano will be more forgiving on a board
which has lost its stiffness or crown even though the sound may just be less
bad than in other more demanding parts of the piano.  Specifically, the
treble section, where the acoustic requirements are such that stiffness is
required to capture the high frequency vibrations of that part of the scale,
is more prone to failure and it is more evident when it does fail especially
in comparison to the rest of the piano.  If you are willing to accept that
success in a soundboard means that only half the piano needs to perform "ok"
while the other half performs poorly then the incidence of soundboard
failure might be over reported.  But if you demand that the board perform
equally well through the scale, then it is likely that the incidence of
soundboard failure is underreported.

The occasional board that does survive I would ascribe to the peculiar
characteristics of that piece of wood, stable and benign environments over
the life of the piano, lower threshold of compression in the crowning
process, combined with design characteristics that lend themselves to
reducing stresses on the panel.  Unfortunately, that doesn't describe the
experience of most pianos.

Pre-modern pianos are something different with different levels of stress,
different scales and different tonal expectations.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com