new business

Noah Haverkamp noahhaverkamp at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 20:42:30 MDT 2008

    I am relatively new at this, only a couple years, but I've done fairly well. I owe this in large part to 2 things:
     1) I gave free tunings (or very cheap) to a series of piano stores in exchange for keeping the clients as my own. What's a couple hours compared to 50 years of a loyal client? Don't make the mistake of thinking "I'm too good for cheap wages." Patience pays better than pride. True, not all the clients were keepers, but even some of those can be helpful. For example, they might already have a tuner, but will refer you to a friend because of the care you gave to them. Once the ball gets rolling, it's like a snowball down the hill of good fortune.
     2) Don't be selfish! I feel blessed every day I get to spend an hour or hour and a half somewhere to increase beauty and knowledge and personal learning into the world of music. Feeling grateful inspires us to give more than we need to, and as we go out of our way to help piano owners or restaurant managers or recording studio guys, customers become clients, and like children we sled down the snowy mountain of good karma!