Tuning Compromises Across a Challenging Break

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 08:33:48 MDT 2008

John:

I've thought about what you wrote below, have read similar
statements before, and am not sure what it really means.

Do you mean the natural stretch beyond the theoretical 1:2 frequency ratio
that is necessary to achieve a chosen octave type? Or do you mean that for a
given scaling, a certain octave type is best? If the latter, how would this
be determined? Maybe you mean something else that I haven't thought of.

Btw, I am strictly an aural tuner, but understand inharmonicity.
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:31 PM, John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> What helps most is getting the correct stretch for the piano. If you do
> this, the break becomes less of an issue. (On some pianos, there will always
> be inconsistencies, but that's unchangeable until the scale is changed.)
> It's helpful to start with a temperament that spans two octaves. But
> eventually, I think the more one tunes aurally, the better one can hear what
> will work best even if he is working within one octave for the temperament.

<snip>