Dampp Chaser Problem???????

John Radley jjradley at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 23:04:40 MDT 2008

I saw a similar situation in a church piano.  After investigating, I discovered the custodian was "saving money" by using hardware store-type dehumidifier additive (the kind that Dampp-Chaser warns about - evidently containing some sort of acid).  The pins and strings were rusty, and the Dampp-Chaser itself was so rusty that when I inspected it, the metal parts just crumbled.   This was a very old unit (the kind with the one orange light), but I'm sure the same could happen on a newer unit as well.

> I have a new customer with a Kawai RX-3 equipped with a Dampp Chaser with
> the model H-4 controller. The piano is about 3 years old. As I opened the
> lid to tune, I noticed rust on the tenor strings, and as looked closer,
all
> of the bass strings had discolored from what seems to be a serious
humidity
> problem. There was rust on almost all of the strings, and the tuning pins
> had discolored in the bass section.
>
> all of the plated steel brackets
were
> rusted along with all of the screws used to hold the wiring. Even the
steel
> rod (that goes through the soundboard) from the bottom was totally rusted.
> Even the brass cap was discolored.

- John Radley