1890s Everett damper flanges

David Trasoff david at davidtrasoff.com
Sat Oct 11 00:14:39 MDT 2008

This piano is a ~1895 Everett grand, about 6';  old, heavy woodwork.
Customer bought the piano from an antique dealer - seems to have been
partially rebuilt w/ new strings, pins, hammers. But the dampers
didn't work - the damper lift flanges were mostly frozen up, very
slow. Why didn't they take care of that as well, I wondered as I took
the job.

Now I have a better idea of why. After disassembling the damper lift
tray and mechanism, a major jigsaw puzzle already, I now see the
problem. The damper flanges are not screwed to the damper rail - they
are hot-glued in place, without screws, and with a second strip of
wood on top of the flange, also glued in place. I can post pictures
if the description is not clear. Oh, and while the flanges in the
tenor section are at 90 degrees to the rail, the bass and treble
sections are angled. There's no way I can see to get at the frozen
flanges without breaking apart this nice glued-up arrangement, and in
the process losing all idea of the precise placement and angle of the
flanges on the rail.

Does anyone have experience dealing with this type of damper rail
arrangement? The flanges are badly frozen up -  I got one off and
it's full of verdigris and corrosion. They have to be re-pinned. How
do I get to the flanges, get them off and back on the rail, and avoid
creating a nightmare of misaligned flanges? One thought is to drill
guide holes through that top strip of wood and through the flange
into the rail, so that I can at least locate the flange, and then
essentially convert them to screwed in flanges when I'm done re-
pinning. That still leaves reproducing the angle...

Suggestions?

David Trasoff

---
David Trasoff