the economy

Dave Davis dave at davispiano.com
Fri Oct 10 08:12:18 MDT 2008

Kerry wrote:
That's an interesting approach...what kind of local groups and what kind of
advertising? Most ads I've bought have brought me mostly price-shoppers.

I place ads in the programs and websites of local community choirs, kids choirs, symphony and the like. It not only gets my name in front of people who are involved with music, it supports music in my community. Usually they're less than $50 for a 1/4 or 1/2 page. I've also done a couple of ads on the local football schedule poster, but being in a large metropolitan area, that one didn't bring in anything. I would definitely do that in a rural area where high school football is more popular. Find a graphic artist to work with to develop something eye-catching. In fact, if I lived in a rural area, I'd take out an ad in the local newspaper.

You mentioned price-shoppers. Last year, I posted my rates on the website, and changed my phone message to suggest people e-mail me for an appointment, and to check out my website for tuning prices. I've had an increase in e-mail scheduling, and a decrease in price-shoppers. When new customers call, they know what I charge, and if it's been a few years since their piano was tuned, they suggest that their piano may need a pitch raise.

I have also seen an increase in traffic driven by the PTG website. There are only a few of the 100+ techs in my area that have websites. When potential customers search for a technician on the PTG website, they usually choose someone with a website, after all, they're already on their computer, right? (I'm in the land of Microsoft, so mileage may vary in other parts of the country.)

Best regards,

Dave Davis, RPT