the economy / Fenton

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Oct 9 02:13:03 MDT 2008

Hmmm....

     Hey Ric,
     We'll be just fine, I wouldn't trade places with you.
      Fenton

Well I hope you are right about being fine. There are some entirely
possible and very dark scenarios that can easily unfold. But as others
(and for that matter myself) point out there are some bright ones as
well.  One can at the very least hope for the best and work towards that
end. I think at least we all share that mindset.

As far as trading places with me.  You really have no idea how wonderful
it is over here in the North of Europe. Being an ex-American and having
spent the first 28 years of my life there I of course have many ties and
visit regularly. The perspective this position gives is rather unique.
America has changed its spirit rather profoundly over the last 30 years.
I'm not sure how easy to see that is from the inside.

As for moving over here.... One never really becomes a Norwegian... not
like those who are born and raised here by parents who were also born
and raised here, like their parents in turn.  But one does loose enough
of ones American identity to no longer remain quite American as well. A
kind of nationality limbo existence if you will. All that a side... I
feel more freedom in more ways over here then I ever did in the US, and
even more so now.

All this is very off piano topic tho folks.... even much of the piano
business talk.  Yet at this conjuncture it seems to me that All peoples
should be taking time to hash through some very difficult discussions
about American politics, what freedom is, what responsibilities personal
freedoms and democracy entails. We CAN loose those if we are all not
careful to guard them. And we will not loose them to terrorists,
communists, Islamic extremists or the like. We will loose them simply
because we take them too lightly and let non democratic forces grab them
away from us.... which process is right in front of all our eyes for
those who look closely.

SO... I suggest Andy starts up a temporary Political list and urge that
as many here as possible engage in discussion on that list for the next
couple months.  Not just because of the election... but because so much
of so much import that concerns all citizens of democracy everywhere is
looking at, if not on the breach.

I thank the list for its patience so far in these few posts that are
clearly too far off piano related topic and will say no more here on the
matter.

    Hey Ric,
    We'll be just fine, I wouldn't trade places with you.
    Fenton

Cheers
RicB