Unstringable C8, was Steinway 78183

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 7 01:24:24 MDT 2008

I've heard it suggested that the highest 5-6 notes can be re-capped and
the scale fudged enough so as to work acceptably with shortened lengths.
Haven't tried it but have looked at scales enough to think this might be
an acceptable fix. Not too much work involved really.

RicB

    I've measured the speaking length of C-88 on many of these pianos.
    It varies
    quite a bit from one piano to the next but I've found them as long
    as 63 mm.
    Using 0.030" (#12 1/2) wire this gives a string tension of
    approximately 223 lbs
    (101 kgf) which is about 80% of the breaking strength of most music
    wire.

    snip...

    This is, at best, a patch. What you (or somebody) really needs to do
    is recap
    the bridge and reduce the speaking length to something a bit more
    reasonable.

    Del
    Delwin D Fandrich