Unstringable C8, was Steinway 78183

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Oct 6 20:47:58 MDT 2008

I've measured the speaking length of C-88 on many of these pianos. It varies
quite a bit from one piano to the next but I've found them as long as 63 mm.
Using 0.030" (#12 1/2) wire this gives a string tension of approximately 223 lbs
(101 kgf) which is about 80% of the breaking strength of most music wire.

You might try using (if you're not already) Mapes International Gold wire which
has a slightly higher breaking strength than most. You might get it to hold. At
least for a while. Until someone comes along and tunes the piano with a slightly
greater than normal stretch.

This is, at best, a patch. What you (or somebody) really needs to do is recap
the bridge and reduce the speaking length to something a bit more reasonable.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant
620 South Tower Avenue