Math/Physics Problem: degrees of rotation of tuning pin = howmuchpitch change

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 17:02:50 MST 2008

> My curiosity along those lines concerned tuning stability, and how
> dimensional change in bridges and soundboards, or how much
> rendering across a bridge accounted for what we hear in real
> pianos. I expected a moderately accurate proportional
> indicator, rather than a three decimal point absolute. List
> discussions seem to be thick with binary all or nothing
> arguments, but I live somewhere well in between.

Ron,

  I think I may have found a kindred spirit :)

Beyond my simple thirst for knowing why, my interest here lies
in trying to figure out what I am actually doing when I find a stable
resting place for a member of a unison. My goal is to distill a belief
based on reason and evidence rather that myths that somehow
seem to work, as if by magic.

We are not scientists, but I feel that much can be gained by
taking a few minutes and pretending we are.

For me, the issue of pin movement is a good place to start,
although it is only the tip of my current set of ideas for
real-world experimentation.

If you would like to share ideas more fully, I would
enjoy continuing this discussion through email if
you want.

Let me know.

(and as far as the original question goes, I have also posted
it on a physics forum, so I will let you if they have anything to
say to clear things up)

Thanks,

  Kurt