Math/Physics Problem: degrees of rotation of tuning pin = howmuchpitch change

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 29 15:52:30 MST 2008

> I stand corrected. :-(
> I must remember, that just because, I think that it is too involved, to
> be worth while, others don't.

No problem John. Different strokes.

> Who is it said, 'enquiring minds want to know"?

I don't have a clue - never asked. <G>

> I was thinking of even the pin sizes vary, within a box by a few
> thou.,that the information gained would vary enough to change things. etc.
> John Ross

The best you'll get is an approximation, whatever you do, not
something for dependable direct application. My curiosity
along those lines concerned tuning stability, and how
dimensional change in bridges and soundboards, or how much
rendering across a bridge accounted for what we hear in real
pianos. I expected a moderately accurate proportional
indicator, rather than a three decimal point absolute. List
discussions seem to be thick with binary all or nothing
arguments, but I live somewhere well in between.
Ron N