help

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Thu Mar 27 09:56:36 MST 2008

After an experience some years ago, I resolved that if I was making a
comment about a piano for a potential customer, I would always do it IN
WRITING, so as to have a record of what I said.

A customer was selling her old (but 1950s refurbished) birdcage piano, and
I was asked to comment on it to a potantial purchaser, which I did by
phone.  The potential purchaser pulled out of the sale, and maintained I'd
recommended her not to buy it, which I had NOT. I had given a fair report
on the piano and told the potential purchaser that the asking price was
fair for the instrument.

I ended up looking bad to the potential seller, and had to explain to her
that I had not said what was reported.

Putting things in writing is a protection, and allows you to make a very
clear disclaimer.