for those on the fence about hearing protection..

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 26 15:52:39 MST 2008

I think the db gauge would be a way to quantify pounding.   I'm planing looking at Radio Shack for a price.  I'm with you on the fortissimo blow.   Another to consider is the futile attempt to stabilize and piano after a big pitch raise.   You can't do it.   All you can do is get some semblance of stability and pounding the hell out of it won't help.
Concert work shouldn't be dealing with pitch change or the piano isn't getting tuned well or enough.  I'm making changes in the 1 cent range with my concert instruments.
I don't pound and they stay in tune and I don't put unnecessary wear and tear on the piano or me.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044