Pocket PC Tunelab tuning

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Mar 26 00:59:46 MST 2008

You do have a control element in Tunelab that shows just how close to
your target intervals your end curve gets.  The tuning curve display is
split up into two sections. The upper one shows the curve itself and the
lower one shows the deviation the end curve has from being just.  Where
ever the lower display shows a straight line right it is just. If the
fully automatic calculation for the curve doenst quite get it right
after sampling each of your notes a few times, then you can  go to
either the half automatic or fully manual curve adjusting setting to get
it as close as it can get.

Either way... tuning as Jason says below... i.e. tuning A4 and E6 at the
same time whilst the display is on A4 insures the exact same frequency.
A quick check of the E6 tunelab comes up with right after tuning this
way can show you how on target you are.  With my generic template curve
I always double check this anyways when I want to make sure an already
tuned note is where I left if before tuning a 12th above. For example
when I've gotten all the way up to E6 and B7 I drop tunelab down to A4
and play E6 to make sure its where it should be. This way I can run a
few checks at the beginning of the tuning, and refer to the bottom
deviation curve to see that things are close enough.  Very small
deviations are not going to bother me, and I'll use the thing much like
I use my generic anyways...but it is much closer to the given piano from
the get go.

One thing I'd love to be able to do in tunelab tho... be able to switch
up and down 12ths as well as octaves.  And I'd like to see F6 be able to
take a  3rd partial setting in the partials table.

Cheers
RicB

    When Ric tunes A4 and E6 to the very same Tunelab setting, then A#4
    and F6,
    and so on up the keyboard, he is *guaranteeing* perfect 12ths. When
    you only
    use 3:1, you are relying on the TL math to be precisely spot on,
    which it
    often isn't. (That is, the math is fine but the calculation of the
    inharmonicity constants, based on five or six readings, is a close
    approximation often off by a few cents in the upper ranges. You can
    verify
    this yourself: when you get up to say C7, play the note F5 and see
    if the
    blocks remain still. If so, TL has given you a perfect 12th. More
    often than
    not, the blocks will move.)