Steinway repetition problem

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 24 22:02:37 MST 2008

Hi, William:
    I'm going to second Mother about the wippen heels.  I'd go for replacement.  Also, check to see if the damper lever lift felt (end of damper lever) and see if there are divots.  The felt on these is very soft and not woven.  Sometimes the felt has "melted" something onto the spoons which causes them to become rough.  Then they "carve" holes in the damper lift felt.
    You could also strengthen the hammer return springs.  Take out some of the shims from the spring rail, or replace the springs with stronger ones.  All the springs are suspect.  A stronger jack spring will help too.
    Easiest is to rebalance the keys.  I hate jiffy leads, but in this case, you might need some.
    Good luck.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

Paul McCloud