for those on the fence about hearing protection..

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Mar 24 10:40:01 MST 2008

> If a string is binding on a v-bar. I don't want the pianist to
> be the one to balance out the tension, because I would not expect any
> repeat business from that customer.

The point I've tried to make for many years, still
unsuccessfully, is that the problem isn't necessarily at the V
bar, as is almost universally assumed. When we get instant
aural (or visual) verification of change with any pin
movement, then test blows are redundant if we have any idea
what we're doing with the tuning hammer - if it's coming from
the V bar. Tune a string in the capo section, using light
blows. Get it where you want it, and where it stays there
through a few more light blows. Then whack it. Depending on
the severity and direction of humidity swings the piano had
been through since you last tuned it, and how far you moved
the string to tune it this time, it will either not change
perceptibly, or drop anywhere from just detectable, to 4+
beats. Unless we're hopelessly incompetent with a tuning
hammer, that pitch drop didn't come from the V bar. It came
through the bridge. Now, tune the string again, using the same
soft blows as the first time. Get it where you want it, and
whack it again. What happens? It stays put, if you know how to
run the hammer. If we couldn't stabilize the string with soft
blows the first time, why could we the second? Try it on the
next string (next note). You'll likely get a similar effect.
Did you forget how to run the hammer since the second pass on
that last string. No, of course not. You just didn't hit it
hard enough, at least once, to find out if it would render
through the bridge before you quit tuning it. On the third
string (next note), don't touch the pin at all. Note where the
pitch is, and whack it. If the other two strings dropped in
pitch, this one likely will too, and you hadn't laid hammer to
it yet, so you can't blame hammer technique.

Continual pounding will cause a string to creep sharp when we
quit and come back to check in a minute or so. This, I think,
comes from the V bar because we weren't getting an accurate
representation of what we had when we left it. So it's
possible to pound too hard as well as not hard enough.

It's a combination of things. The people who say you can tune
softly with stability with just good hammer technique are
either tuning pianos who's MC hasn't changed at all since they
last tuned it, and they're making one cent revisions, or they
aren't aware of how lousy their tunings sound the week after
they did them. Aside from the unusually inept "tooner",
virtually all of the tuners I've followed from one to three
weeks after their efforts has been a "don't have to hit 'em to
get 'em stable" practitioner. If you're tuning in real world
climate conditions, you *do* have to    hit 'em enough, at
least once, to find out what slack the back scale has to give
you. Then you adjust your approach to what the piano tells you
is necessary.

> I recently tuned a church grand in which, before tuning, I could mute
> off a string in the octave 7 region, and knock it 3 to 8 cents flat with
> just one moderate test blow (not pounding, but about as hard as I might
> actually strike a key when playing my favorite Liszt Etude). The
> previous tuner might suggest I play too hard, but I would say he did not
> use firm enough test blows, and got lucky that nobody played it hard
> enough to cause a problem.

I have pianos that do the same thing. Since I'm the previous
tuner, I know it wasn't the last guy not hitting them hard
enough. The pianos I find this in have typically gone through
40%+ humidity swings between tunings. These same pianos, tuned
again in the same season a couple of months later (wedding
funeral, etc), don't do this. Tuned again at their regularly
scheduled time, they do. When I follow someone a week of
stable weather after he tuned it and can do this, it's not
humidity.
Ron N