for those on the fence about hearing protection..

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Mon Mar 24 09:35:28 MST 2008

I don't think you need to be a key-pounder to warrant the use of hearing
protection. I also think some pianos are worse for the ears than others.
The room's size, shape and surface materials, as well as placement of
the piano within the room can change the sound pressure levels at the
listening position for various frequency ranges. There are some pianos
that actually cause my ears discomfort in the midrange area, even if I'm
using moderate test blows and have my Etymotic earplugs in all the way.
There are other pianos that seem more harsh in the treble, and some that
are so easy on the ears that I almost forget to put in my earplugs.

Consider that some pianists experience hearing loss just from practicing
a lot. I doubt they play continuously at a sound level that competes
with what the average tuner is subjected to.

But I think this turned into more of a debate about how firm our test
blows should be. I'm sure there is such a thing as pounding too hard,
but I'm convinced that too soft a test blow is inviting trouble,
especially if it's a piano we do not have a lot of prior experience
with. If our test blows don't match or exceed the pianist's hardest
playing, then we are actually letting the pianist perform the test blows
for us. If a string is binding on a v-bar. I don't want the pianist to
be the one to balance out the tension, because I would not expect any
repeat business from that customer.

I recently tuned a church grand in which, before tuning, I could mute
off a string in the octave 7 region, and knock it 3 to 8 cents flat with
just one moderate test blow (not pounding, but about as hard as I might
actually strike a key when playing my favorite Liszt Etude). The
previous tuner might suggest I play too hard, but I would say he did not
use firm enough test blows, and got lucky that nobody played it hard
enough to cause a problem.

--
believed to be clean.