ETD's, tricks, and learning

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 22 03:30:22 MST 2008

Hi Les

I just posted to CAUT last evening along these lines. The only way I can
imagine to <<auralize>> an ETD tuning is to set it up so that it runs
parallel to your aural tuning scheme. All but one ETD out there is a
single partial reader, so that means you need some kind of partial
switching button for looking at different coincidents in the temperament
range. Otherwise you can fairly well stick to one partial and
familiarize yourself with where the coincidents are aurally... and what
their tuning relationships in either cents or bps works out to in
theory.  As stated on CAUT I use a tuning curve utilizing the 3rd
partial and Pocket Tunelab (because it has a partial switching button).

Cheers
RicB

    If someone gets brave enough to produce a manual on TL with "tricks"
    as to
    how to modify programs to make tunings more "aural", I would request
    that
    such manual be accompanied with diagrams.  There are many different
    learning
    styles, and learning from a manual which has no illustrations, and lacks
    very simplistic, detailed descriptions simply leave me unable to absorb
    things which to many seem very obvious.  Though I finished a masters
    degree,
    I did so with great difficulty, not knowing till many years later that I
    somehow didn't absorb things in the "normal" way.  I so wish it weren't
    true- but it is, so thought I'd offer that for any who provide
    documentation
    in any form.
    Thanks
    les bartlett