birdcage pitch?

holly quigley hollyquigley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 09:11:40 MST 2008

I've had the pleasure (har) of dealing with my first birdcage piano. It was,
at my first visit, kid you not, a minor third flat. Apparently they bought
it from a used piano dealer in Ireland, who said they "refurbished" it
(another har). For one thing, the hammers were blocking against the dampers
- ? After some inspecting and problem solving, I just shimmed the damper
rail to raise the damper line up, and that at least got it playing. The pin
block feels viable. The plate sure is weird, and it's straight-strung, not
cross-strung. My only real question is what pitch are birdcage pianos
usually tuned to? Is A440 safe, or should I keep it lower (although
obviously not a friggin minor third lower)?

Unfortunately I can't find the piece of paper I wrote the piano's info on
right at the moment. However, if it's indeed Irish, it'll be the second
Irish piano I've encountered to much frustration and chagrin. The first one
was an almost entirely plastic action. No, seriously. Including the keys,
including the capstans, screws, everything. Bizarre. Maybe they should stick
to beer over there...

-Holly Quigley.