tuning (mute methods and deebees)

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Wed Mar 19 20:17:19 MST 2008

Hi Holly,

Unisons as you go almost immediately saves 20 minutes off total tuning
time. Learning curve essentially zero. I'm a middle man myself with a split
mute. I.E. c# middle wire, move mute a semitone, c# left wire, then d
middle wire, move mute a semitone, d left wire, right wire c# etc.

It also produces a superior pitch correction with less total overpull which
I believe leads to fewer string failures.

At 04:15 PM 3/19/2008 -0400, you wrote:
>(Figured I'd put it under one heading instead of a third post)
>
>Regarding you more experienced tuners and your one-mute method - about how
>long did it take you to transition from strip muting to unisons-as-you-go?
>What I mean is, how much time in practice did it take to get your time down
>and result in a clean enough tuning to do unisons-as-you-go in the field on
>a paid basis? Does my question make sense? I know in theory, if you're
>capable of producing a clean and stable tuning using other methods, there
>shouldn't be much of a transition time, but still. I've fiddled
>with tuning with one mute (I mean aurally here - I use one mute all the
>time when tuning with an ETD), and it takes me longer because I'm used
>to the sound of intervals and octaves in single-string format. I don't
>get to practice it all the time though, because I gotta work. It's like
>the fact that I wouldn't go out and start putting Stein-way style
>tunings on pianos without having practiced and refined the technique on my
>own. People shouldn't have to pay extra (time or money) for the
>technician's learning experience/practice-time.
>
>"" playing levels, it still has to be loud enough to project out to an
>audience (not bringing in the topic of hall acoustics, etc.). Which means
>of course there's a lot of volume right at the piano. In a perfect
>world, even piano players would wear ear protection, just as much as
>drummers (should) wear ear protection. Not saying those two instruments are
>of the same hearing damage level, but they can produce damage. I've
>been able to hear just fine when wearing ear plugs and tuning, so why not
>take the extra precaution anyway? For me, though, it's just a matter of
>getting into the habit. This should be a good reason to!
>
>Regarding whether or not a person is striking the notes too hard when
>tuning, though - I do know that a certain piano manufacturer'"the piano
>is defective because it won'" reports. I know everyone tunes
>differently, and it'd be a shame to turn a thread on the importance of
>protecting our most important tool into an argument on hard or soft
>hitters. Sometimes depending on the piano, though, one technique is better
>than another to use, maybe?
>
>cheers,
>Holly Quigley
>(just an associate member)
>
> No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG.  Version: 7.5.519
>/ Virus Database: 269.21.7/1335 - Release Date: 3/19/2008 9:54 AM
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner