Incorporation questions

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Tue Mar 18 22:47:09 MST 2008

Greetings all --

I have gone through the archives and found the subject of Corporations and S
Corporations has come up a couple of times. But those discussions were brief
and didn't really delve into the process. For a number of reasons my tax guy
has strongly advised me to go the S Corporation route.

Today's questions are directed to those among you who have actually gone
through the process of starting a corporation and then converting it to an S
corporation.

: What, exactly, is the process?
: Did you do it yourself, or did you hire an attorney?
: Changing from Sole Proprietor to Corporation, how do you cover the
question of stocks and board meetings?
: What about creating a business "name" that ends in Inc., Corp., or Ltd.?
To whom do your tuning clients write their checks to?

I've found all the forms. And even though there are only about three really
basic items being asked for on them, I find myself overwhelmed with
questions and procedures regarding the process of actually acquiring and/or
creating those items.

So I guess my only real question is: How did you do it?

-- Geoff Sykes, RPT
-- Los Angeles