replacement backchecks (w/ wires)

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Mar 18 19:07:02 MST 2008

Hi Alan,

Glad you found the information useful.  It's always nice when I have something of value to share.

William R. Monroe

  William,

  Thanks for this!

  Alan

  Alan,

  I've used the Tokiwas with no problems.  I think the biggest concern with a smaller gauge wire is that it wouldn't be stiff enough.  I don't find stiffness to be a problem with the Tokiwa backcheck wires.

  Up until the mid-80's S&S was using backcheck wires of .098" and previous to that, .090".  But, (much like the current damper wires vs. older wires) I believe the new wires are stainless and therefore much stiffer .  Of course, the new S&S backcheck wires are also thicker (.115), contributing to their stiffness.  I believe Tokiwas are the same (stainless) and therefore have the requisite stiffness you'd need.

  William R. Monroe

    We need to replace a set of grand backchecks with wires and are deliberating between Tokiwa and Renner. The Tokiwa is much less expensive (less than half the price) but has a smaller diameter wire (appx. .098") than Renner's backchecks (appx. .114").  I would rather use the beefier wire, but the cost is so much more.  Anyone care to weigh in on their experience with Tokiwa grand backchecks WITH wires?

    Thanks,

    Alan Eder