replacement backchecks (w/ wires)

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Mar 18 13:33:25 MST 2008

William,

Thanks for this!

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: William R. Monroe <pianotech at a440piano.net>
To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:44 am
Subject: Re: replacement backchecks (w/ wires)

Alan,

I've used the Tokiwas with no
problems.  I think the biggest concern with a smaller gauge wire is that it
wouldn't be stiff enough.  I don't find stiffness to be a problem with the
Tokiwa backcheck wires.

Up until the mid-80's S&S was
using backcheck wires of .098" and previous to that, .090".  But,
(much like the current damper wires vs. older wires) I believe the new wires are
stainless and therefore much stiffer .  Of course, the new S&S
backcheck wires are also thicker (.115), contributing to their stiffness.
I believe Tokiwas are the same (stainless) and therefore have the requisite
stiffness you'd need.

William R. Monroe

We
  need to replace a set of grand backchecks with wires and are deliberating
  between Tokiwa and Renner. The Tokiwa is much less expensive (less than half
  the price) but has a smaller diameter wire (appx. .098") than Renner's
  backchecks (appx. .114").  I would rather use the beefier wire, but the
  cost is so much more.  Anyone care to weigh in on their experience with
  Tokiwa grand backchecks WITH wires?

Thanks,

Alan Eder