dying sharps -how are you doing it?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 07:20:18 MST 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 1:04 AM, E <efarmer at wowway.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
>            I find myself needing to re-dye a set of sharp keys. Any
> advice? Aniline dye in alcohol? Follow with a wash coat of shellac? Any
> better ideas/ways??
>                      Thanks, Edward Farmer

I've used the Transtint Black dye from Pianotek Pg B-11 mixed with a water
based self leveling polyurethane, Carver -Tripp is the brand I used. It can
be brushed on, recoated in 30 minutes with no sanding between coats. Dyed
and finished in the same step.

Mike

--
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that
will allow a solution.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404