Chinese keyslip solution

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 18 05:12:30 MST 2008

Scott

I had the same problem with an English piano, don't
remember the brand name...

The owner had two different technicians fail to solve
the problem so I was determined to figure out a
solution.

I tapped the balance rail pins backwards, too.  I
moved the keyframe backwards a bit, also.  But keys
were still sticking on the keyslip.

Then I got out my wood file and started removing wood
from the inside of the keyslip.  It only took about 15
minutes to remove enough wood that the keys had
clearance again and she had her piano back.

And just to set the record straight, this keyslip was
absolutely NON-REMOVABLE!  I unscrewed every screw I
could find from below, or inside the piano.  I even
unscrewed the keyframe because I thought MAYBE it was
glued to the keyframe.    I spent a good 20 minutes
investigating how to remove this keyslip because I
couldn't fathom that it wasn't removable.

I mention this because there was a suggestion that
perhaps it was conncected to the cheek blocks and
could be removed along with the cheek blocks.  No,
this keyslip was part of the cabinet, and was not
going anywhere.   I don't know about Scott's Chinese
piano, but this English piano had a kekyslip that
could not be removed.

Tom Sivak

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/REAK6aAWybhz5k3CdIUaNCSjbL5ps1TL5wuWFNCiSwE5b6dky9kQ8a/