Steinway M Backcheck Problem

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Mar 16 12:38:01 MST 2008

Al -
Steinway's spec for key dip is between .390" and .420" so,at 10mm
(.394") you're well within range.  The only reason I mentioned dip
was relating to the jack binding the rep lever window butt felt.  If
that's not happening, there would be no reason to play with the
dip.  I think Mike Spaulding's image of the self-locking taper is the
paradigm to use as you look at your piano again.  I had another
Steinway this morning on which I had done the action some years
ago.  The treble checking was OK but I was having some trouble in the
bass.  I noticed that the convergence angle of the tail and check was
a tiny bit too severe, so I gently sanded the tail a bit flatter
(less radius) and slightly more angle, so that the convergence was
more congruent, and it worked fine, even without re-roughing.  Good
luck tomorrow.

David Skolnik