Steinway M Backcheck Problem

AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 16 05:24:19 MST 2008

David,

These are all original parts and I did check jack clearance, which is good.

One thing you mentioned is very interesting. In order to get the proper after touch, I had to set the key dip at 10mm which is a little more than Steinway recommends. If all else fails, I will reset the touch to Steinway specs in the bass to see if that helps any, but I'm sure the problem is elsewhere.

I also agree;
(snip)
"the buckskin & felt on the newer checks offer almost no resilience the profile at the top of the backcheck face forces the tail to bounce off, as you describe in your post"

Al Guecia