Good pianos for schools?

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Mar 16 08:05:59 MST 2008

Steve,

One suggestion that will make any piano better in the SHORT run (and of
course, over the long haul, as Marcel points out) in the school system:
DAMPP CHASERS!!!

Seriously, for the few hundred dollars more, any institution is penny wise
and pound foolish to not add a DC to every new piano they get.  The
decreased cost of maintenance will pay for the systems in very short order.
What's more, the pianos may actually sound "reasonable" from one tuning to
the next - whenever that might be.

As far as particular pianos, Walter and Boston, IMO are both quite nice and
if they aren't holding up, it's likely not the piano - it's the environment.
I've done quite a bit of work with both makes, having worked for dealers of
both, and find them to be very good pianos both.

Again, it's not the piano, it's the care.  Not putting humidity control in a
piano in these settings is neglect, IMNSHO.

Convince them.

William R. Monroe

> Steve,
>
> One suggestion that will make any piano better on the long run in the
> school system:  DAMPP CHASERS !!!
>
> I insist that they have it installed in every piano and I train a student
> or a staff person to > fill them up regularly (?spelling). Even if
> sometimes they forget, it cures 80% of the pitch swings.

 SNIP

> Marcel Carey, RPT
> Sherbrooke, QC

 Does anyone have any recommendations for pianos that will hold up in a
school? The local public schools might be getting some new ones. In the past
15 years they have bought some Walter studios and some Boston studios. They
have not held up well in the very dry to very humid conditions in the school
buildings.

 SNIP

 Any suggestions will help.