Good piano tuner needed

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Sat Mar 15 20:39:09 MST 2008

A former customer of mine now lives in La Plata, MO and needs a good tuner. He is conservatory-trained, outstanding musician with a real interest in tuning, historic temperaments, etc. The piano is an older Steinway O. Anybody servicing that area, please contact me.

He just called quite upset that he'd paid for tuning and thinks it sounds all wrong, etc. And this is a man with an excellent ear: I once had an off-sounding bass string which he listened to, cocked his head and said, "You've got a high D# sounding there." (I think the string was F2 or something, so the note he was hearing was NOT in my string's intended set of partials.) Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I did some ghosting and found that, indeed, he was hearing an overtone or false hamonic that was precious close to D#6!

By the way, I cautiously asked him if he had like my tunings and was relieved and flattered to hear him use words like "magical", "ecstatic" "perfect" .... well, I don't know about that, but knowing my abilities back in the years I was tuning for him, his new tuner must be ... uh, less than top-notch.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO