remedy for "Verdigres

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 15 09:12:42 MST 2008

Hey Now,

Dale, and all interested parties.

A month or two ago I described a method of getting Verdigris out of action centers. Now I realize there may be skeptics, so my flame suit is on and buttoned up tight.

We have an RPT named Randy Woltz in the Orange County Chapter. Several years ago he did a program on Verdigris. Randy has developed this system I am about to describe. He says that he has been doing it for many years and never had a call back.

Using a Weller pencil tipped soldering iron, you insert the heated tip directly into the bushing. You will see a whiff of smoke, the waxy stuff dissipating into air. Then re-pin using the Manino broaches. The tips on the Weller are threaded and inter changeable. Randy has the part # for the right tip in his hand out. I have not been able to locate the hand out at this time. I'm sure I could get it from him if you or anybody else is interested. I remember I could not find the exact size I needed at Marmac's, so I just bought a variety pack and ground one down to about .050. I would also touch the tip to the birds eye when the green substance was present.

I've only tried this once on a 1927 Steinway that was un-playable. I did the Hammer rail and most of the whip's. It worked great. Now as I said before I realize this is not proof, I am relying on Randy's experience and testimony as stated above.

If you are really interested in saving these whippens perhaps you could give it a try.

Dale, what happened to my action ratio gauge? Are you too busy getting you piano ready for Anaheim?

Steve Blasyak
Orange County Ca.

Pura Vida