Steinway M Backcheck Problem

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Mar 14 13:40:50 MST 2008

Steinway M Backcheck ProblemAl,

Have you double-checked (ha-ha) the backcheck height??

I'd guess your problem would lie in height or angle, given the age of the parts.  I wouldn't concern myself where the bend is to establish the angle as long as the angle is correct.  I also would caution against roughing the checks any more.  If they are soft and like new, they don't need it.

Another possibility: have you tried setting checking in the piano first, on a few samples?  Is it possible your bench set-up is enough different than your piano that it is unreliable?

Good luck,
William R. Monroe

Subject: Re: Steinway M Backcheck Problem

  Thanks Jon, good info, I'll check the angle and measure the arc against the hammers I arc myself. I also brushed the buckskin. They are soft and like new, but I will try and rough them up a little with some sandpaper to see if that helps any.

  Al Guecia