SAT Battery Replacement

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 13 03:37:11 MST 2008

Larry - You are correct about the general advantages of NiMH batteries vs. NiCad. You are also correct regarding the charger thing.

Don and Rob are also correct to suggest to be careful with your choice of replacement batteries. IMHO, because of the vast advantages of NiMH over NiCad, I would at least call Sandersons and ask if there is any problem with that switch. I can tell you for sure that you'd have to rig up some sort of bypass of the SAT internal battery charger and use an external smart charger that is specifically designed for NiMH. I run a lot of lights on my bicycles that are mostly powered by NiMH packs and some Li-Ion (I have used NiCad in the past but will never, ever again because of their memory and charger problems). I buy all my stuff from www.batteryspace.com . BUT, please, if you have any thoughts about heading in this direction, discuss it with Sanderson - they are the ones that know those units inside and out.

Yes, all rechargeable NiCads are 1.2V. Also, all NiMH cells are 1.2V. I don't know what the SAT requires. If it originally came with four 1.2V NiCads, then yes, it would be safe to assume that 4.8V is the target.

Terry Farrell