SAT Battery Replacement

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Wed Mar 12 20:51:26 MST 2008

Your accu-tuner is an expensive instrument and part of your livelihood.
DON'T experiment with it.  Replace with the exact type of batteries that
were in there.  There should be four NiCad size AAs.  Go to a large local
electronics supply, (a real one, not radio shack).  Tell them you want four
NiCads with terminals for soldering.  Connect them together in series by
soldering the terminals appropriately together.  Put the completed bundle
into some tight fitting heat-shrink tubing.  When heated and shrunk you
should have a tidy and professional looking replacement battery.  Glue the
whole thing inside the accu-tuner with a generous amount of PVC-E  glue and
let dry over night.  Charge it a full 24 hours the first time.  For the
first couple times of use the batteries may not hold to full capacity but
thereafter they should take a full charge nicely.

As an alternative you can use a replacement portable phone battery pack, (a
home wireless, NOT a cell phone).   Many of these use 4 AA and are already
wired and bundled together  You will have to cut off the connector they come
with and then connect the ends to the accu-tuner battery wires.  Again make
sure you get NiCad and not NiMh.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV