Bass Bridge Position-upright

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 13:39:34 MST 2008

  ----- Original Message -----

  Also, do you have a picture of the backside showing rib layout, treble cut off, and the reinforcement at the bass cut?

  Curious minds want to know. ;-) One of these days I'm going to do something with all this information.

  Dean May

No. Sorry.

But I do have a couple pictures better than the backside. Below shows the rim modifications. Del maintained the original lower cut-off, designed the upper bass cut-off to be much larger, and added his patented Z-bar (that's the thing hanging off the treble rim side).

The picture below has the cut-off area filled in (w/ some cypress), the original rib notches filled in and the new ribs laid in place.

I love this picture below. I think it does a very good job at demonstrating the belly areas of the two pianos. I have a faux rim duplicate of a Baldwin M (5' 3" or so) grand piano clamped to my 52" M&H upright frame. The belly rails overlap exactly. Add the cut-off for the grand and a fish, and you have something pretty close to the exact same belly shape on the two pianos - except that the upright has quite a bit more soundboard area for the bass. I've never finished the Baldwin, so I can't compare them, but I sure won't be surprized to find that the upright has a bit more oompffft in the lower end.