Bass Bridge Position-upright

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Tue Mar 11 05:42:23 MST 2008

Fenton,
That's some nice looking work. Probably better than the old upright
deserved. I'm curious. Why did you go for THAT MUCH backscale. My opinion
would be that the backscale of those old monsters was long enough but the
move to a directly contacting bass bridge would be a positive one. It seems
from the picture that simply removing the cantilevered apron would still
have put the bridge in a good spot. I can't really tell but it seems that
the bridge, in its original spot, is something like 5 or 6" away from the
edge of the board. Could you share more of your thought process in making
these changes?

All the best,
Greg

Greg Newell