Steinway model Z weak bass

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Mar 10 05:17:23 MST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Fenton Murray
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 12:49 AM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: Steinway model Z weak bass

I serviced an Acrosonic a couple years ago that had a completely dead bass.
Like an electric guitar not plugged in. I was able to move the bridge around

on it's apron a little confirming a bad glue joint. After loosening the
strings the bridge came off in my hands, not a drop of glue was ever applied

to the joint. After gluing and screwing everything was fine. The piano must
have sounded like that from the time it was new.
Fenton

Fenton,
	Good repair, but I respectfully disagree with your conclusion. The
bridge was glued from day one, but failed over time.  The bridge assembly is
glued up before installation on the soundboard.

	That gritty -- dusty residue was the remains of the aforementioned
glue.
	We see this often here in the Northeast with our extreme interior
humidity swings.
	FWIW,
Tom Driscoll

Checked by AVG.