Side lifting tops on vertical pianos

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Mar 10 05:39:03 MST 2008

Great tip, Bruce!

Thanks

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Bruce Dornfeld
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 11:57 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Side lifting tops on vertical pianos

I also no longer bother to pull out these hinge pins.  For a while I
borrowed the soft pedal rod, but it is a bit too short and a pain to replace
when the top is no longer up high.  Then I found out the perfect tool for
this has been riding around in my car for years now: the sectional steel
rods (Schaff part number 3339, new catalog page 55).  This four piece rod is
screwed together to help remove spinet actions, for those actions with the
holder for them cast into the bracket.  It may seem a bit flimsy, but it is
about the same diameter or smaller than most of the side lid props.  It will
fit the cup on the lid easily.  Most pianos will have a handy place for the
other end where it will be secure.  One piano I work on needs a vice grip to
hold the steel rods in place with no chance of slipping.  You can use only
three of the four pieces, but all four gives about four feet in length which
works very well for me.  This i! s one of very few tips I can claim credit,
or blame, for myself.  I have been using this method on many pianos for a
number of years now.  I make a note on my client records so I know it is a
side lifting top to bring this in, since it is not part of my normal number
one tuning kit.  If you already have one of these give it a try, I certainly
use it for tuning a lot more than to remove spinet actions!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter