Side lifting tops on vertical pianos

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 9 20:57:15 MST 2008

I also no longer bother to pull out these hinge pins.  For a while I borrowed the soft pedal rod, but it is a bit too short and a pain to replace when the top is no longer up high.  Then I found out the perfect tool for this has been riding around in my car for years now: the sectional steel rods (Schaff part number 3339, new catalog page 55).  This four piece rod is screwed together to help remove spinet actions, for those actions with the holder for them cast into the bracket.  It may seem a bit flimsy, but it is about the same diameter or smaller than most of the side lid props.  It will fit the cup on the lid easily.  Most pianos will have a handy place for the other end where it will be secure.  One piano I work on needs a vice grip to hold the steel rods in place with no chance of slipping.  You can use only three of the four pieces, but all four gives about four feet in length which works very well for me.  This is one of very few tips I can claim credit, or blame, for myself.  I have been using this method on many pianos for a number of years now.  I make a note on my client records so I know it is a side lifting top to bring this in, since it is not part of my normal number one tuning kit.  If you already have one of these give it a try, I certainly use it for tuning a lot more than to remove spinet actions!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter