Bass Bridge Position

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Mar 9 20:37:15 MST 2008

> Looking at it again I could actually move it up fairly easily without any
> plate grinding since there is a bit of room from where A0 crosses and the
> end of the bridge.  My scale experiments suggest that this scale looks a bit
> better with 12 or 13 monochords in the bass instead of 10.  I'd be curious
> to know how many notes on your transition and what the speaking lengths at
> the beginning and end were.
>
> David Love

I left the monochords at ten, and ended up with an A-0 length
of 1308mm, and transition lengths of 987 at B-2. and 932 at
D-3. Four notes. It worked real pretty in the spreadsheet, and
the bridge placement and lengths sound (so far) like I won't
need any mass loading or even voicing to smooth the
transition. It's very smooth right out of the box, and I don't
even have the hammers squared up and strings mated to them
yet. I seem to have come pretty close.

Ron N