Hamburg String seating proceedures

BPpiano at aol.com BPpiano at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 14:16:57 MST 2008

Sorry for the text goof??

Thank you for your timely response.  Through experimentation, I've  wound up
"massaging the non-speaking area of the string just on the other side  of the
bridge.  I've also had some success at least temporarily improving  false
beats and overall tone centering by massaging on other non-speaking parts  of the
string closer to the tuning pins and agraffe.  By  massing, I  mean using a
brass or wooden dowel to rub the string by applying only enough  pressure to
feel a little give in the string.

Obviously, level and mated strings are to be assumed, have you found
improvement by leveling the string just off the bridge as suggested by Kevin  Stock?

While attending the Northwest PTG convention in Salt Lake a few years  back,
I heard a presentation from a woman from Bechstein talk about helping to
define the termination points by tapping on either side of the point along the
string.  I've found that to be helpful.

Thanx, again,

Bruce P