Steinway model Z weak bass

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Mar 9 13:30:54 MST 2008

Gregor and Ric,

Thanks very much for those thoughts.  On this particular Z, soft or weak IS
the right term for the bass sound!  But it didn't sound to me at at all like
a hammer problem.  I need to get back and have a look down below and a
longer listen and think.

I was hesitant at mentioning it to the cistomer, and did so just as I was
leaving, as he had commented on how much beter it was sounding (always
nice!), and when I remarked on the bass sound, he almost pounced on my words
and said affirmatively "Yes! It's always sounded like that!". I guess the
previous tuner never said anything,

The customer was particularly interested in what the value might be, so I
don't know if he is thinking of selling.

Ron N, I enjoyed your comments about not being fooled, by an end-hinged top
lid, into thinking it's a grand!.  I have a customer with a Feurich upright
which also has an end-hinged lid, but instead of a removable hinge-pin, it
has two very solid brass hinges with brass dowels which plop and slide
beautifully into bushed holes in the side panel. Lovely piano, reeks quality
and craftsmanship.

Thanks again all,

David.

"I don´t think that there is anything wrong with the bass bridge. I have
some customers with a Steinway Z and I am always nerved when I have to tune
these beasts. The bass is nearly not tunable due to great inharmonicity. I
am not shure if soft or weak are the propper terms to describe the bass
sound, but the bass sounds awful anyway on every Z I know. This model Z was
nothing that Steinway can be proud of. Rather embarrasing for Steinway to
put their name on these pianos. The usual price for a Z is here between
9.000 and 12.500 US Dollar.

Concerning the hinge pin: I always remove these pianos from the wall and
apply some grease to it. So it´s easier to pull it out the next time.

Gregor"

"I guess my take on these instruments from Steinway is that they are
what they are and I dont worry much about them.  Steinway themselves
freely admit that they make these instruments purely for the customer
who wants something with the Steinway and Sons name on it but dont
have the finances to cover a large grand.

Otherwize, Steinways design priorities and resultant default acoustic
response picture is just what it is... I dont have to like it or not.
Its not my piano, its the customers.  If a customer is disatisfied
with the sound of any particular instrument I simply tell them what I
believe can be or not accomplished within reasonable costs, and
advise them to consider purchasing a new instrument if the one they
have doesnt  do it for them.

I dont really get much into telling a customer what they should or
should not like acoustically anymore.  Thats not my place if you get
my meaning. I can offer some help and insights in helping a customer
find something that they like... but it is the customer who needs to
make the choice... not me.

Cheers
RicB"