Steinway model Z weak bass

ricb at pianostemmer.no ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 9 07:28:49 MST 2008

Hi David

I guess my take on these instruments from Steinway is that they are
what they are and I dont worry much about them.  Steinway themselves
freely admit that they make these instruments purely for the customer
who wants something with the Steinway and Sons name on it but dont
have the finances to cover a large grand.

Otherwize, Steinways design priorities and resultant default acoustic
response picture is just what it is... I dont have to like it or not.
Its not my piano, its the customers.  If a customer is disatisfied
with the sound of any particular instrument I simply tell them what I
believe can be or not accomplished within reasonable costs, and
advise them to consider purchasing a new instrument if the one they
have doesnt  do it for them.

I dont really get much into telling a customer what they should or
should not like acoustically anymore.  Thats not my place if you get
my meaning. I can offer some help and insights in helping a customer
find something that they like... but it is the customer who needs to
make the choice... not me.

Cheers
RicB

-------------

Last week I had a call from a local retired music teacher, who I had
as
class music teacher when I started high school back in 1971. He is
active in
musical circles locally, but has never been my client simply due to
having
stayed with the father-and-son team (now son only) that he used for
years.

He wasn't too happy wiuth the tuning that was done a couple of months
ago,
and wanted me to come instead, which I did.  His piano is a Steinway
Model Z
from 1971 and oddly, it's the first Steinway Z I have tuned since I
started
in 1984.  I have to say I wasn't phenomenally impressed. It's nice
enough
and all that, but not superlative in any way.   The top lid is hinged
from
the left hand end, a thing I've seen before - I guess it was meant to
impart
the impression of opening a grand lid.  But in what I feel is a
design flaw,
the hinge pin must be removed to take off the lid for tuning, and it
has to
be withdrawn from the back, which means pulling the piano out from
the wall.

Anyway, what I'd like opinions on is this:  The bass sounds soft and
weak,
almost (but not as bad) as if the bass bridge was detached.  Time
simply ran
out for investigating this, as I had done some key easing and he had
to go
out.  When I commented on the bass, he agreed and said it had always
sounded
like that.  I would like to go back and have a proper look at the
bridge etc
at some point.  But does anyone know if there is any particular
feature or
problem with the Z?

I see a dealer is selling one of the same age for around $20,000
which seems
to me far too much. You could buy a beautiful new Feurich form not
much
more.  But I guess they will get their price because of the name.

Best regards,

David.